Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Clickers: the good, the bad, and the useful

This semester has prompted me to think about many different ways that technology can be used in the classroom and it has also prompted me to ask other students about their experiences with assorted technologies.  After the 'clicker' subject was first proposed, I did several informal opinion polls with fellow students about their experience with clickers.  Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people responded that they had had a negative experience with clickers.  The list of problems ranged from clicker malfunctions, incompatibility and lack of knowledge by the instructor.   

After the wonderful Team Teach Talk on Clickers, my optimism for clicker use was renewed.  I do feel that they have the ability to enhance student experiences, especially in large classes.  It is imperative that instructors take the time to truly learn proper use and implementation of clickers, so that if mishaps arise, they have the skills to fix the problem.  Earth, Wind and Fire did a great job of fielding questions and difficulties yesterday; they would all do justice to clicker technology in a lecture. 

3 comments:

  1. They did do a great job! It is disappointing to know that many students have had unsatisfactory clicker experiences, but I am hopeful that they will have at least one class where they see the benefits. I don't think I had a chance in class to tell you all that we have two undergraduate interns who support the clicker program. They can help faculty learn about clickers and even come to a class or two to provide support. They've been a great help in the war against poor clicker usage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seeing a theme with technology, and I fall right into its deadly alluring trap. It looks so nice and cool and fun on the outside, but then the work begins, and the hours in front of the screen starts, and then it fails, or I do not know what I am doing. Then it all goes to shambles.

    I want to learn how to use technology right, so I can use it effectively. I just think it takes a committment on the part of the professor to get out of their comfort zone and learn somethign new that is not PWPT. We are all resisent to change, but if we do not change, we are the ones our students laugh at when we use a VHS tape, a laserdisk, an 8 track, overhead projectors, or any other antique system. Got to stay with the times.

    ReplyDelete